Voronezh Center for Advanced Study and Education
Dialogue and Continuity of Cultures in Contemporary Society
Voronezh Center for Advanced Study and Education was established in February 2001 under the auspices of Russian Centers for Advanced Study and Education Program. The Program is implemented by the ISE-Center, the Russian Federation Ministry of Education, the Kennan Institute for Advanced Russian Studies (USA), with financial support from the Carnegie Corporation of New York (USA), the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation (USA) and Open Society Institute (Soros Foundation Russia)
The title of the general project Dialogue and Continuity of Cultures in Contemporary Society reflects the University's research traditions in the areas of social science and humanities; on the other hand, given its geographical position, it points to the Voronezh CASE as a focal point of research activity in Central Russia. The project also relates to the overall condition of Russian science and education, and the obvious need to strengthen the role of humanities not only purely theoretical but also as applied to management, education, politics, etc. Hence, apart from narrowly focused tasks, the project aims for comprehensive coverage of the issues by involving experts in different fields of humanities.
There has been a lot of organizational effort in the reporting period. Work under grant is being done in a systematic way (quality preparation and delivery of conferences, academic seminars, master classes and round table academic meetings; the use of for fellows' benefit, etc.). Regulations for Voronezh CASE activities have been formulated, and an electronic catalogue for the University's Zonal Academic Library has been created. A total of 24 books (monographs, research paper collections, and training manuals) have been published or are in the pre-publication phase.
The Voronezh CASE is distinguished by the largest number of fellows (grantees), including young and promising researchers as well as well-known scholars and professors. This makes it possible to take fellowships beyond just young scholars' individual projects and turn them into a sort of virtual team where both components would coexist and complement each other as manifested at the level of research, publications and conferences.
Support provided by the Voronezh State University Rector's Office, and personally by Rector I. Borisov, deserves special mention. This helps coordinate the work of the CASE itself, as well as properly define its role and status within the University.
Voronezh CASE Staff
Vladimir T. Titov Vice Rector of Voronezh State University, associate professor, Ph.D. of Philology,
Alexander S. Kravets honored scientist of RF, academician of Russian Academy of Humanities, corresponding member of Russian Academy of Natural Sciences, Head of the Systematic Philosophy Chair of the Philosophy and Psychology Faculty of Voronezh State University, professor, D.Sc. of Philosophy.
Elena N. Ischenko associate professor of Systematic Philosophy Chair of the Philosophy and Psychology Faculty of Voronezh State University, Ph.D. of Philosophy.
Sergey M. Kamshilin assistant to Vice Rector, Voronezh State University.
CASE is affiliated to Voronezh State University (VSU)
Voronezh State University was established in 1918 on the basis of Yuriev University, which was in its own turn founded in 1802.
Some facts about Voronezh State University today:
- 18 thousand students
- 17 faculties
- 65 specialties
- 217 professors
- 664 associate professors
- 6 museums
- regional scientific library 3.5 million books
- 17 councils for assessment of D.Sc. degree thesis
The priority areas of research of Voronezh CASE Dialogue and continuity of Cultures in Modern Society are as follows:
- Intercultural communication and rapport of cultures:
Pragmatic, social, cultural and cognitive language problems, national identity and mentality, problems of age-specific, gender, social and professional communications in intercultural problems. Academic advisors: Professor M. K. Popova, Professor L.I. Grishaeva
- Social and cultural nature of conflicts:
Democratic culture and methods of conflict settlement, formation of tolerant public conscience. Academic advisors: Professor V. S. Rakhmanin, Professor A.V. Glukhova
- Historical and cultural legacy in dialogue of cultures:
Value potential of the Russian literature classics, modernization of social, political and legal relations in Russia: historical and modern experience, languages of artistic portrayal in Russian and foreign literature. Academic advisors: Professor M. D. Karpachiov, Professor V.A. Svitelsky.
- Region in the system of economic, political and legal relations:
Federalism and local self-government: local economy efficiency problems: resources, investments and credit as the conditions for the regional development; local self-government and achievement of civil society in a province; public organizations, movements, parties and stable development of a region; region as the subject of international activity. Academic advisors: Professor T. D. Zrazhevskaya, Professor I.E. Risin.
Workshops, conferences, seminars held in Voronezh CASE:
There were all in all 18 events in the period under report in Voronezh CASE
- 10 scientific conferences and workshops,
- 4 scientific seminars,
- 1 scientific symposium,
- 1 master-class,
- 2 round table discussions.
986 persons participated in these events.
Out of them 252 persons were non-Voronezh residents who represented Russia, Ukrain, Belorussia, USA, Finland and Germany.
All the events that took place in Voronezh CASE were reported in the massmedia both central and local.
- International conference Problems and prospects of Russian Higher school integration into the global education and science system (February 20-21, 2001)
- Scientific seminar Methodological problems of cognitive linguistics (March 30-31, 2001)
- Scientific conference and workshop The role of local legislation in shaping of social, economic and political relations in entities of the Federation (Methodological problems of local legislation shaping) (May 28-31, 2001)
- Scientific symposium Political conflictology between old and new paradigms (June 14-15, 2001)
- Scientific seminar Hermeneutics in Russia (September 20-22, 2001)
- Scientific conference and workshop Strategies of social and economic development of regions (October 11-12, 2001)
- Scientific seminar Social power of language (October 28-31, 2001)
- Master-class for language and literature teachers Spiritual potential of the Russian literature on the XIX-XX centuries (November 13-16, 2001)
- Round-table discussion Modern conflicts and problems of formation of tolerant public conscience in a society (December 2001)
- International scientific conference Intercultural communication and problems of national identity in the modern cultures of Russia and the West (February 25-28, 2002)
- Interregional scientific conference Democratic culture and methods of conflict settlement (March 28-29, 2002)
- International scientific conference Modernization of social, political, economic and legal relations in Europe and Russia: historical and modern experience (June 27-2002).
- Round-table discussion State-owned sector of regional economy: problems and prospects (June 27, 2002).
- International conference National and universal values of Russian and Western literature in the 19th and 20th century (the problem of interaction of the self and the other) . (October 1-3, 2002).
- Scientific conference Management of changes in social and economic system of a region (October 15-17, 2002).
- Scientific conference Mutual understanding in dialogue (December 2-5, 2002).
- Scientific seminar Social movements and social thinking of the second half of the 19th century in Russia (January 22, 2003).
- Scientific conference and workshop Social conflicts and social peace: search of the optimum (January 28-30, 2003)
It is also planned to conduct the following events before the end of April, 2003:
- International scientific seminar Culture 'Post' (April 15-17, 2003)
- International scientific seminar National vision of the world: language, literature, culture, education (April 21-24, 2003)
Voronezh CASE Publications: 24 titles
- Russian literature classics of XIX century. Manual. Editors in charge: Prof. A.A. Slinko, Prof. V.A. Svitelsky.
- Methodological problems of cognitive linguistics. Digest of proceedings. Editor in charge Prof. I.A. Sternin.
- Novokharkhovsky burial ground of Middle Ages. Multi-author monograph. Editor in charge Prof. A.D. Priakhin
- The early days of civil society: state authority and local authority. Multi author monograph. Editor in charge Prof. T.D. Zrazhevskaya.
- American communicative behavior. Multi author monograph. Editors in charge Prof. I.A. Sternin, M.A. Sternina.
- Hermeneutics in Russia. Multi-author monograph. Editors in charge Prof. V.G. Kuznetsov (MSU), Prof. A.S. Kravets.
- The language of realities and realities of the language. Prof. A.A. Kretov, Assosiate proffesor N.A. Fenenko
- Political conflictology facing new challenges. Multi-author monograph. Editor in charge Prof. A.V. Glukhova.
- Essay on the social power of language. Monograph. Editor in charge Prof. L.I. Grishaeva.
- Social power of language. Digest of proceedings. L.I. Grishaeva, Assosiate proffesor N.A. Fenenko
- Political conflictology faces new challenges. Multi-author monograph. Editor in charge Prof. A.V. Glukhova
- Literature and publicism. Essays on Russian humanistic idea of XIX-XX centuries. Monograph. Editor in charge Prof. A.A. Slinko.
- A personality in the terms of life values. Monograph. Prof. V.A. Svitelsky.
- Strategies of social and economical development of regions. A digest of scientific articles. Editor in charge Prof. I.E. Risin, Prof. Yu. I. Treshevski and Prof. V.N. Eitingon.
- Politics of social and economical development of regions. Multi-author monograph. Editor in charge Prof. I.E. Risin, Prof. Yu. I. Treshevski and Prof. V.N. Eitingon.
- Intercultural communication and problems of national identity. Digest of proceedings. Prof. L.I. Grishaeva, Prof. T.G. Strukova
- Intercultural communication. Manual. Editors in charge: Prof. L.I. Grishaeva, Assosiate proffesor L.V. Tsurikova
- Language and national consciousness. Multi-author monograph. Editors in charge Prof. S.D.Popova, Prof. I.A. Sternin.
- Interbudget relations in international and russian practice. Multi-author monograph. Editors in charge Prof. I.E. Risin, Prof. B.G. Preobrazhenski.
- Democracy, tolerance and settlement of conflicts. Multi-author monograph. Editor in charge Prof. A.V. Glukhova, Prof. V.S. Rakhmanin
- Political conflictology. Manual. Prof. A.V. Glukhova, Prof. V.S. Rakhmanin
- Information bulletin of Voronezh Center of Advanced Study and Education. Volume 1. Editor in charge Associate professor E.N. Ischenko.
- Information bulletin of Voronezh Center of Advanced Study and Education. Volume 2. Editor in charge Associate professor E.N. Ischenko.
- Information bulletin of Voronezh Center of Advanced Study and Education. Volume 3. Editor in charge Associate professor E.N. Ischenko.
Presently 36 award-winners have visited Voronezh CASE under the auspices of Russian Centers for Advanced Study and Education Program. It is planned to continue work with the award-winners in February. The award-winners have participated in the following events organized by Voronezh CASE National and universal values of Russian and Western literature in the 19th and 20th century (the problem of interaction of the self and the other), Mutual understanding in dialogue, Social movements and social thinking of the second half of the 19th century in Russia, Management of changes in social and economic system of a region, Social conflicts and social peace: search of the optimum.
While visiting Voronezh CASE the award-winners worked in the CASE library, archive, Internet center of Voronezh State University and were consulted by the academic advisers and specialists in different fields. The award-winners were consulted by Prof. M. K. Popova, Prof. L.I. Grishaeva, Prof. T.D. Zrazhevskaya, Prof. V.S. Rakhmanin, , Prof. A. S. Kravets, Prof. I. E. Risin, Prof. M.D. Karpachiov, Prof. A.V. Glukhova, Prof. V. A. Svitelskiy.
The complete list of award-winners is given below.
||Local holidays in system of celebratory culture of Russian people: traditions and modern times.
|Implementation of cross-cultural dialogue in modern Russian education.
||Russian Truth: history, philosophy, politics.
||Dynamics of modernization in space: theoretical, methodological and historical aspects.
|"The self"' and "the other" in national identity: the experience of gender analysis. (Example of Russian and German cultures).
||Salesclerks: agents of modernization or a new class? Salesmen and industrial clerks in pre-Revolutionary Russia. History, culture, way of life.
||The nobles of the Middle Volga Region (the first half of the XIX century)
||Historical and cultural heritage of the Eastern Prussia and formation of the historical identity of Kaliningrad region.
||Russian agiography: sources, derivation and traditions.
Golovina R.V. Berezkina E.S.
|Reflection of culture interaction in the traditional folklore. (Category of "the self" and "the other", stability to the influence of different ethics)
|Muslim identity in Russia: regional versions.
||The ambassador of nonexistent country (B.A. Bakhmetiev as a diplomat, politic and thinker.
||Evolution of historical memory: Interpretation and perception of the image of Kulikovskaya battle by the historical discourse of the nation.
||The heritage of the Soviet sociology: preservation, research, utilization.
||Temnitsky A. L.
||Interaction of the Soviet and post-Soviet factors in the formation of economic behavior of the youth in transforming Russia.
|French and Russians as they see each other: collective images in the discourse of cultures of the industrial civilizations.
||Islamic education on the North Caucuses: history and modern times.
||Interdisciplinary methods in the historical anthropology research.
||The role of traditional stratagem culture in social life and international contacts of modern China.
||Imperial ideology of the Russian movement to the East in the XIX th and the beginning of the XX th century. In search of the geopolitical guidelines.
||Military and culture in Western Siberia in 1880-1914
||Germans and Russians in medieval Novgorod. The problems of interethnic communication
|Social and intercultural adaptation of the ethnic groups in a new city.
||Transition from ethnically friendly to ethnically alien religion as a challenge to ethnical identity. (Example of modern Saint Petersburg)
||Shakhmatov's scientific school. Scantily explored parts of history.
||Problematics of "originality" and "universality" in methodological evolution of the Russian humanities in1910-1930
||Russian mentality: conscience, unconscious and language data in the formation of the "Jew" concept.
||Alcohol in Russian traditional culture: standard and anomalies
||National and cultural autonomy as a kind of national self-determination: historical experience and prospects (Examlpe of Northwest of Russia)
|Russian mentality in the terms of self-organization theory.
||Cultural traditionalism of medieval feeding and its modernization in the epoch of Peter the Great (Example of Novgorod)
|Religious communities of Baltic peoples in North-Western Russia in the end of the XIX th and beginning of the XXI centuries:Религиозные общины прибалтийских народов на Северо-Западе России в конце XIX - начале XXI: interference, historical and cultural heritage
|Cultural "construction" of nation in the social and political discourse of the XIXth century Russia.
||Movement of rural correspondents: experiment on social communication and the results.
||Geopolitical analysis of the regional educational field of Volga Region (the second part of the XIXth century - the beginning of the XXth century)
|The regional aspect of relations between the temporal and religious power in education in Russia (the end of the XVIIIth-XIX centuries, example of Volga provinces).
||Stock exchange and stock exchange legislation in Russia in the XIXth century
||"Military factor" in everyday culture and way of life of the Russian province the XIXth and the beginning of the XXth century (Example of the Black Soil Region).
|Mentality of microsociety: ways of reflection of objective cultural forms (Example of Old Belief's collection)
|Metaphoric fragment of the Russian language vision of the world.
|Actors and interpreters: methods of legitimization of the new social and cultural practices in Russia.
|Cultural specifics of the economic trans-border interaction: the regional aspects (Example of Khabarovsk and Saint Petersburg)
|The city congregation of the XVII th and the first quarter of the XVIII th centuries. Religious experience in the system of values in the transitional period from Middle Ages to the New Age (Example of Yaroslavl)