Ural Center for Advanced Study and Education
Toleration in contemporary civilizationUral Center for Advanced Studies and Education (UCASE) was established in 2001 as independent department of Gorky Ural State University. It is sponsored by NGO Information. Scholarship. Education, Moscow, Russia; Russian Ministry of Eduvcation; Kennan Institute for Advanced Russian Studies, Washington, DC, USA; Carnegie Corporation of New York, USA; J.D. and C.T. McArthur Foundation, USA; Ford Foundation, USA; and Open Society Institute, Moscow, Russia. The research and educational activities of UCASE focus on the problem of toleration in contemporary civilization. This problem, in its turn is considered by UCASE in the following main aspects:
- Philosophy of Toleration (Toleration in History of Philosophy. Cultural Patterns of Toleration; Logic of Toleration; Mental Philosophy and Philosophy of Understanding; Toleration and Non-violence in Traditions of Russian Philosophy; etc.);
- Toleration in Cultural Studies (Linguistic Problems of Toleration; Toleration in Gender Relations; Toleration in International Relations; Toleration and Mass-Media, etc.);
- Religious Toleration (Religious Toleration and Contemporary Christian Theology; Religion, Free- thinking and Toleration; etc.);
- Ethno-Cultural Toleration (Interethnic Symbiosis: the Problems of Toleration; etc.).
Ural CASE Staff
Maxim B. Homiakov academician of Russian Academy of Natural Sciences, D.Sc. of Philosophy
Boris V. Emelianov academician of Russian Academy of Natural Sciences and Russian Academy of Humanities, D.Sc. of Philosophy
Irina G. Poliakova
Elena I. Kadnikova
Valery A. Gudov
Last Events and Publications
- Conference Toleration and Poly-Subjects Sociality; the head of the organizing committee is prof. V.E Kemerov. (Ekaterinburg, 18-19 April 2001).
- International conference Toleration in Contemporary Civilization; the head of the organizing committee is prof. M.B. Khomiakov (Ekaterinburg, 14-19 May 2001).
- International conference Toleration in the Context of Pluralism of the Ways of Life in Russian Culture ; the head of the organizing committee is prof. S.L. Kropotov (Ekaterinburg, 29-30 May 2001)
- International conference Linguo-Culturological Problems of Toleration ; the head of the organizing committee is prof. O.A. Mikhaylova (Ekaterinburg, 24-26 October 2001)
- Conference Interethnic Symbiosis: the Historical Experience of Russian Civilization (Izhevsk, October 2001).
- Conference The Problem of Toleration in the Attitudes of the Peoples in Eastern Europe. Man-Nature-Society (Izhevsk, November 2001).
- Conference Logic of Toleration and Law; the head of the organizing committee is prof. V.O. Lobovikov (Ekaterinburg, 24-25 December 2001).
- International conference The Role of Mass-Media in Promoting Toleration and Social Cooperation; the head of the organizing committee is prof. B.N. Lozovsky (Ekaterinburg, 21-22 December 2001).
- International conference Metropolis and Province: Representation of the Other in Russian Art; the head of the organizing committee is prof. S.L. Kropotov (Ekaterinburg, 14-17 March 2002).
- International conference Russia and European Union: Strategy of Cooperation; the head of the organizing committee is prof. V.I. Mikhailenko (Ekaterinburg, 17-19 April 2002).
- International conference Toleration and the Problem of Identity (Izhevsk, 26-29 June 2002).
- The International congress Toleration in Contemporary Civilization; the head of the organizing committee is prof. M.B. Khomiakov (Ekaterinburg, 22-29 August 2002).
- International conference Toleration in the Context of Important Problems of Contemporary Social Theory and Practice; the head of the organizing committee is prof. M.B. Khomiakov (Ekaterinburg, 22-29 September 2002).
- Seminar Contemporary Radicalism and Extremism: Origins and Challenges of the Twenty-first Century ; the head of the organizing committee is prof. V.I. Mikhailenko (Ekaterinburg, 3-5 October 2002).
- International conference Toleration and Power: the Ways of Russian Intelligentsia ; the head of the organizing committee is prof. M.E. Glavatsky (Perm, 4-5 October 2002).
- Conference Family as the Battlefield: Social Symptoms and Existential Dead-ends; the head of the organizing committee is prof. M.A. Litovskaya (Ekaterinburg, 30 September 1 October, 2002).
- International Conference Historical Origins, Experience of Cooperation and Toleration (Izhevsk, 29-31 October 2002).
- Round table Social Heterology and Problems of Toleration; the head of the organizing committee is prof. Kemerov V.E. (Ekaterinburg, 11-12 December 2002).
- Seminar Russian Philosophy in the Context of Toleration; the head of the organizing committee is prof. Emelyanov B.V. (Ekaterinburg, 1-4 February 2003).
- Collected papers of the Conference Toleration and Poly-subjects Sociality, ed. By Kemerov V.E., 2001.
- Collected papers of the conference Linguo-Culturological Problems of Toleration, ed. By Mikhaylova O.A., 2001.
- Collected papers of the conference Toleration in Contemporary Civilization, ed. By Khomiakov M.B., 2001.
- Collected papers of the conference Toleration in the Context of Pluralism of the Ways of Life in Russian culture, ed. By Kropotov S.L., 2001.
- Ural CASE Proceedings, #1, ed. By Khomiakov M.B., 2001.
- Lozovsky B.N., The Fourth Power on a Hard Way to Consensus, 2001.
- Pertzev A.V., The Strategy of Toleration: the Problem of Establishing in Russia and in the West, 2002.
- Collected papers of the conference Logic of Toleration and Law, ed. by Lobovikov O.V., 2002.
- Collected papers of the conference The Role of Mass-media in Promoting Toleration and Social Cooperation, ed. by Lozovsky B.N., 2002.
- Toleration: point of views. John Locke's Letter concerning Toleration in focus, ed. by M.B. Khomiakov, 2002.
- Khotinets V.U., Toleration and Ethnic Identity: Philosophical and Psychological Analysis, 2002.
- Toleration: point of views. Leo Tolstoy's philosophy of non-violence in focus, ed.by Emelyanov B.V., 2002.
- Vepreva I.T., Linguistic Reflection in the Post-soviet Epoch, 2002.
- Ural CASE Proceedings, #2, ed. By Khomiakov M.B., 2002.
The Nearest Future Events
- ˇonference Education for Toleration: the Problems of Theory and Practice, March 2003
- International Conference International Cooperation Experience of the Russian Universities: the Bolognese Process and the Concept of Education Modernization, March 2630, 2003.
- International Conference Communications and Toleration: Theoretical and Practical Issues, May 1517, 2003
- International Conference Childhood as Cultural Intersection: Towards Self-Identity, May 1517, 2003.
- Program of the Russian Ministry of Education Centers Of Advanced Studies: Revival of Russian Humanitarian and Social Sciences in the Twenty First Century (in cooperation with Moscow Public Science Foundation under the program Interregional Researches in Social Sciences).
- Central European University Summer School Toleration and Multiculturalism: Eastern and Western Perspectives together with Morell Studies in Toleration, The University of York, UK; Budapest, July 2003.
- Regional Seminars Program, Higher education Support Program, Budapest. The project is devoted to organizing three international summer seminars (Ekaterinburg, 2003, 2004, 2005) for young Russian faculty (Together with the University of Katania, Italy and the University of York, UK). The theme of the seminars will be Toleration and Human Rights in Multicultural Societies. The funding is to be approved by HESP.
- TEMPUS program MA in Toleration, Human Rights and Democracy, together with UNESCO chairs of the independent states of the former Soviet Union and the University of Padua, Italy. The funding is to be approved by TEMPUS.
UCASE at present sustains twelve individual and collective research projects, which are conducted by twenty-one research fellows. The fellows are from different regions of Russia: Biysk, Ekaterinburg, Krasnodar, Moscow, Nizny Tagil, Omsk, Saransk, Ufa, Ulyanovsk, Yaroslavl. The topics studied vary widely, but conform to the main research theme of UCASE (for instance, Toleration: Conflict of the Idea and the Methodology, Pursuing Justice, Mass-media, Power, and Ethnic Conflict: Their Correlation in Krasnodar region, Neighboring Protestants: Orthodox and Protestant Communities in Russian Countryside (Case Study for Western Siberia and Karelia), etc.).
Since the beginning of the fellowship program, the most of the fellows who reside out of Ekaterinburg, have visited UCASE and consulted with their supervisors in person, not to say on regular e-mail consulting. The library of UCASE provides them with all necessary materials, due to contributions of the sponsors (Carnegie Foundation) and colleagues (such as The University of California, Riverside, USA; Texas A&M University, College Station, USA, Morrell Studies in Toleration, The University of York, UK). Virtually all fellows regularly took part in the conferences of UCASE. The most of them have presented their papers at the First International Congress Toleration and Non-violence in Contemporary Civilization, Ekaterinburg, August 2002. Several fellows won research support grants and have been studying in the universities of UK and USA for the periods, varying in the length from a fortnight to a semester.
UCASE is also giving support to its fellows by publishing the results of their research activity both in INTERNET and in printed materials, such as monographs, collected papers, UCASE Proceedings etc. Quite recently, for instance, the monograph Psychological Studies on Ethnic Toleration written by N.M. Lebedeva, A.A. Vyskochil, U.A. Gayurova and V.U. Khotinets, have been prepared for publication. It is to be published in March 2003. The monograph of other UCASE fellows, M.V Savva and E.V. Savva, was published on the Web-site of UCASE. The articles, written by A.V. Logonov, A.L. Myshinsky, M.V. Savva, E.V. Savva N.M. Lebedeva, A.A. Vyskochil, U.A. Gayurova and M.V. Shugurov were published in two issues of UCASE Proceedings.